St George’s College Photography Competition Exhibition was held in conjunction with the College’s Spring Fair held on the 28th of October. The competition has grown since its launch 3 years ago. This year’s submission numbers reached over 120 entries from High School students across the state, as far as Port Hedland.
This exhibition is one of the largest High School Photography competitions in WA.
Photographers were to submit entries to the theme “Shadows”. The submissions showcased a vast array of young WA talent and with so many impressive entries, the judges had a challenge to pick a winning photo.
The results from the High school division are:
1. First Prize: Amelia Jane Hunt’s “Following His Own Lead” (Duncraig Senior High)
2. Second Prize: Melina Lampropoulos’ “The Black Rose’ (St Andrew’s Grammar)
3. Third Prize (3 awards): Elissa Oakey’s “Shadow Ant-ics” (Australind Senior High School),
David Poramusanaporn’s “Slots and Gaps” (St Andrew’s Grammar)
Leah Jones’ “Empty Shoes” (South Coast Baptist College).
Highly Commended awards went to:
1. Brody Jeanes’ “The Reverse” (Kinross College)
2. Russell Zapanta’s “Music in the Dark” (South Coast Baptist College).
The competition was judged Georgian Peter Hopwood and Photographer Christina Hassell. Both were impressed but the number and quality of entries, making choosing a winner difficult. St George’s College was proud to display the photographs produced by young WA photographers and look forward to hosting future exhibitions.
Current and past residents submitted photos for the competition in a special category, the Georgian Category.