Congratulations to Georgians Dr Hugh Davies AO (1953) and Hi Honour Peter Cole OAM (1976) who were recognised in the 2018 Australia Day Honours.
OFFICER (AO) IN THE GENERAL DIVISION OF THE ORDER OF AUSTRALIA
Professor Hugh Davies AO was made an Officer (AO) in the General Division of the Order of Australia for distinguished service to Australia-Papua New Guinea relations, particularly in the area of the geological sciences, and to education as an academic, author and researcher.
- Chamber of Mines and Petroleum Professor of Applied Geology, since 2013.
- Executive Manager, Geological Survey of Papua New Guinea, 2007-2009
- University of Papua New Guinea: Professor of Geology, 1989-2012. Head of Earth Sciences, 1989-1996 and 2002-2007
- Founding Director, Centre for Disaster Reduction, since 2001.
- Author of over 100 academic (peer-reviewed) papers and of two books - 'Earth Tok' a geology textbook for Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands, and 'Aitape Story', and account of the Aitape 1998 tsunami
- Resident Geological Staff, Department of Lands, Surveys and Mines, Territory of Papua and New Guinea, 1967-1971
- Geological Survey of Papua New Guinea: Chief Government Geologist, 1973-1977. Research Geologist, 1977-1981.
- Chairman, National Disaster Awareness and Preparedness Sub-Committee, National Disaster Centre, Papua New Guinea, 1999-2007.
- Public Relations and Scientific Liaison, in the aftermath of the Aitape tsunami, 1998-2001.
- Public Relations and Scientific Liaison, during Rabaul volcanic eruption, 1994 Public Relations and Scientific Liaison, during Rabaul seismic crisis, 1984.
- Visiting Professor, Museum National d'Histoire Naturelle, Paris, France, 1987.
- Crosby Visiting Professor, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1978.
- Technical expert, Australian Trade Mission to Hainan Island, PRC, 1981.
- Managing Director, Ok Tedi Development Company, and Executive Secretary, Ok Tedi Steering Committee, Government of Papua New Guinea, 1975-1977.
- Australian Bureau of Mineral Resources: Past Principal Research Scientist, Geologist, 1956-1989.
- Chief Government Geologist, Seconded to PNG Government, 1973-1977.
- Professional Societies: Fellow, Geological Society of America, current. Fellow, Society of Economic Geologists, current. Fellow, Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy, since 1990. Member, Geological Society of Australia, current. Member, American Geophysical Union, current.
- Awards and recognition includes: Recipient, Michael T. Halbouty Memorial Human Needs Award, American Association of Petroleum Geologists, 2004. Recipient, Officer of the Order of the Logohu, Papua New Guinea, 2006
MEDAL (OAM) OF THE ORDER OF AUSTRALIA IN THE GENERAL DIVISION
Congratulations to His Honour Judge Peter Cole who service to the judiciary, and to family law.
- Judge, Federal Circuit Court of Australia, since 2008.
- Chair, Children's Committee, Family Law Courts of Australia, since 2015.
- Family Law Practitioners Association of Western Australia: President, 2006-2008. Vice-President, 2004-2006.
- Domestic Violence Action Group, Bunbury, Western Australia, 1992-1997.
- Accredited Specialist Family Lawyer, from 1992.
- Founder and Chair, Law on the Lounge (Bali family law conference), since 1999.
- Organiser, Family Law Conference, Law Society of the Northern Territory, since 2010.
Congratulations also to Peter's wife Mrs Susan Cole who was awarded the Medal (OAM) of the Order of Australia in the General Division for service to family law, and to the community.
- Founder and organiser, Law on the Lounge (annual family law conference), since 1999.
- Assistant organiser, Family Law Conference, Law Society of the Northern Territory, 2010- 2012.
- Community service includes: Volunteer, Museum of Economic Botany, Botanic Gardens of South Australia, since 2009. Volunteer, Adelaide Zoo, since 2009. Member, Waratah Women's Support Centre, Bunbury, Western Australia, 1992-1999.